Friday, May 2, 2008

Scrumpdiddlyumptious

Today is opening day for Willy Wonka at the kids' school. It's been fun watching it come together. I'm really impressed by all the work that's gone into this, and by the fact that the school's choral music teacher has these kids (4th and 5th graders) doing a full-length musical every year. I've never heard of another elementary school doing musicals like this--only high schools and some middle schools.

The dress rehearsals this week have been chaotic, like dress rehearsals always are, but everything seems to be coming together. The Music Director is playing the accompaniment on the piano, and I'm helping out the singers on keyboard. As of yesterday's dress rehearsal, the keyboard was there, but no amp or light. So, I sat in the dark and played music that the singers couldn't hear :-) Both of those things are supposed to arrive today, so I'll go to the school a little early and check out the sound balance with the amp. Hopefully I'll get it right, and won't drown out the soloists.

No comments: