Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Homework for the Parents

M and his classmates finally finished their state reports, and to celebrate, they are having a "state report buffet" right now. In other words, the parents had homework last night. When I dropped off M's dish at 11:15, I met two other moms coming out, who both commented on how this simply meant more work for mom. It seems to be that time of year--my friend Anna Banana made a VERY similar post yesterday.

At least we didn't have to spend much time researching recipes. M did his report on Texas, and since DH and I spent seven years in Austin, I have a bunch of recipes collected from various sources. M and I decided on "queso," which has a different meaning in Texas than it does in the rest of the US. I know it's the Spanish word for cheese, but in Tex-Mex style, it also refers to a hot cheese dip, served with tortilla chips. I suggested plain queso to M, but he wanted the sausage queso I sometimes make.

WARNING: Even reading the ingredients in this recipe may cause cardiovascular problems in susceptible people. :-)

-----
Sausage Queso

1 lb ground beef
1 lb bulk pork sausage
1 medium onion
1 can Rotel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 lbs Velveeta
8 oz cream cheese

Chop onion. Brown beef, sausage, and onion.

Melt Velveeta and cream cheese together (I use a crockpot).

Combine all ingredients.

Serve hot with tortilla chips.
-----

No comments: