Tuesday, June 10, 2008

iPhone Mania

Current mental soundtrack: Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Day (Clifton J. Noble, Jr.)

This year's World Wide Developer's Conference (WWDC) is all about the iPhone. I wasn't planning on attending any of the iPhone sessions, since I don't own an iPhone, and the software I develop at work isn't really suited for the iPhone. (I put Mac interfaces on scientific applications.) But, after attending the Keynote address yesterday, I had a great idea for an iPhone application, so it looks like I need to go to all those sessions.

This conference is such a contrast to the other ones I normally attend, the American Choral Directors' Association convention and the San Diego Comic-Con. First of all, at a developer's conference, there's never a line outside the women's restroom :-) Secondly, food and drink are included: decent boxed meals, along with all the Odwalla and coffee we can drink (as opposed to the usual overpriced hot dogs and nachos type of menu). Finally, I've figured out how to get a good seat in the sessions without waiting in line for 20 minutes. Lots of people get in line early so that they can get a good seat at the front, but I've learned that they don't fill in all of the seats. I show up about five minutes before the session starts, walk down one of the side aisles, and look for a seat in the center section 5-10 rows from the front. It's worked so far today :-)

No comments: