Monday, March 3, 2008

Cooking without cooking

Yesterday I dug up what seemed like a million dandelions from the back yard. I don't remember SEEING any dandelions last year, but I think that's because Otto likes to eat the yellow flowers. Maybe I should leave a few for him :-)

Today the kids got out of school early for a staff development day. We went to the grocery store, where B enjoyed gliding up and down the aisles in her brother's old Heelys. We "baked" a banana cream pie (using a Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust, Jello Instant Pudding, and some bananas) and are waiting for it to set. M claims he's never had banana cream pie before, which I think is unlikely, considering my fondness for it. We are leaving in another hour or so for M's fencing class. Tonight DH is going to make spaghetti with meatballs and garlic bread for us, since he'll get home first. I bought a loaf of Semifreddi's ciabiatta for the bread, and the rest of the meal is mostly from Costco (Prego sauce by the half-gallon & Kirkland Italian meatballs). So, if "cooking from scratch" is the real thing, what's the proper term for "cooking using convenience foods because I don't have time to do it the old-fashioned way"?

No comments: